Wireless Point-Point (adhoc) Networking

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
Mark

Wireless Point-Point (adhoc) Networking

Post by Mark »

Hello All,

Is there any demo code available that demonstrates the NB wireless (NBWIFIN/NBWIFIG) components operating in a point-point (adhoc, NB-NB) networking mode of operation?

Thanks,
Mark
dciliske

Re: Wireless Point-Point (adhoc) Networking

Post by dciliske »

Old or new? I'm not sure about old, and as for the new stuff, it should "just work", but I haven't actually tried this yet... it's on the todo list. We've been mainly focused on firmware stability, bus reliability, and throughput.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dan,

Ah, we meet again! Thanks for the quick reply. As you can probably tell I am try to communicate from one NB to the other without a wireless infrastructure in place. I thought that I remember reading somewhere that this was on the drawing board, but I could not find the reference again.

I currently have the NBWIFIUG-ADPT-200CR Rev 1.3; since it is now discontinued I guess I have the older one. I see that the NBWIFIIN won't be available until the June timeframe - Is this what you are considering as the "new"?

If this feature (adhoc point-point) did work on the new design then I think if would be a very nice feature.

Thanks,
Mark
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

Yes, The NBWIFIIN is the "new" wifi. I agree it would be a very nice feature to have. It is entirely possible within the framework and the IP configuration should also be fine (adhoc usually uses AutoIP).

Also, yes the NBWIFIUG-ADPT-200CR is the "old" one, but fyi, once the device is in production the new wifi will be a drop in replacement for the old one.

-Dan

P.S. If you couldn't tell, I'm the guy writing all the code for the new wifi offering.
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dan,

Thanks for the info - I will be anxiously awaiting the release of the new wifi device!

You definitely have your work cut out, developing a wifi stack is no small task.

Mark