IP Addressing

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
docaberle

IP Addressing

Post by docaberle »

I have "Obtain an IP address automatically" checked in Internet Protocol Properties dialog box. This works great for email and internet but I can't get the netburner device to work this way. When I put in a specific IP address like 10.1.1.5 in windows and 10.1.1.9 in Netburner IP Setup it works like a charm. I'm using example programs that have the dhcpclient.h includes in them. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong.

I'm new to networking and I've looked at the help files many times and it should be working. I also have a cat 5 switch with internet, computer and 5780 all going into it.
lgitlitz

Re: IP Addressing

Post by lgitlitz »

Do you have a router to assign IP addresses via DHCP or just a switch? If you only have a switch then the only device that will act as a DHCP server is your cable modem. The problem here is that the modem will only DHCP a single address since it is not a router. Your PC is assigned an IP from the modem but then it will ignore any other device that asks for an IP, such as the NetBurner. Get a router or DHCP server software for your PC and then the NetBurner will be able to get its address automatically.

-Larry
docaberle

Re: IP Addressing

Post by docaberle »

That clears things up. I just have a switch, so I'll get a router and work with that. I'll also look into DHCP software possibly. Haven't heard of that yet.
Thanks a lot.