Determining Address of DSL Modem

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
craiglindley

Determining Address of DSL Modem

Post by craiglindley »

I need a way to determine the public IP address of the DSL modem my netburner device is attached to. I want to determine when the IP address assigned to my DSL (via DHCP) changes. I don't need the local address 192...., I need the public address which is of the form 75...

I was thinking of using ping to ping a site and then see if the info returned contained the public address.

Is there a more straight forward way of finding this info out?

Thanks
rnixon

Re: Determining Address of DSL Modem

Post by rnixon »

I think there are some web sites that only return the source ip address in plain text. Can't remember the exact url.
Kiwinet

Post by Kiwinet »

I saved myself the headache of an IP address assigned to my DSL (via DHCP) changes, by asking my ISP to assign me a Static IP address, which they have done in a few seconds it took to make a phone call. I then purchased a Domain name for a year for $10 USD called http://microwebserver.net and now have it set up at home as shown with the attached file.
Using Netburner's FLASH interface server MOD5270 example program setup, I hope to process control Japanese Shinko physical temperature controller(s) via the RS232 port(s) on a Netburner SB70LC development board. Still currently writing the communication protocol software for it during my weekends away from work. When I have it finished, I'll update this post.
Attachments
Netserver.GIF
Netserver.GIF (14.05 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
BillC

Post by BillC »

Hi, one way to achieve this would be to set up your adsl modem to keep a free DDNS service notified whenever your dynamic address changes (most ADSL modem support this), then your netburner app can just do a DNS request on your DDNS domain name. This will return the WAN (Internet) IP address of your modem.

I hope this helps.

regards, Bill