Turned on Watchdog, How to turn off

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
seulater

Turned on Watchdog, How to turn off

Post by seulater »

I have a MOD5234 that boots into monitor mode now and then. while in the monitor mode i turned on the Watchdog. Being that i did not tickle the Watchdog in the software it of course resets. No problem there...

When i Press "A" while booting to get into monitor mode to turn it off, there is not enough time for me to go to the Setup to turn it off again before it reboots. How can i turn the monitor off now ?
rnixon

Re: Turned on Watchdog, How to turn off

Post by rnixon »

You've got to be fast, and enter the monitor "setup" before the wdog expires. Once in setup the wdog is disabled so you have time to type and disable it for the next boot.
seulater

Post by seulater »

OK, i give it a shot again thanks. But i think that NB should change the Watchdog to disabled when in the monitor mode. There is no point to have it on when in Monitor mode anyway.
stevep

Post by stevep »

You should be able to disable it from code too, something like this:

Code: Select all

ConfigRecord new_rec;
memcpy(&new_rec, &gConfigRec, sizeof(new_rec));
if (new_rec.m_Flags == 1) // if watchdog enabled
{
	new_rec.m_Flags = 0; // WD disable
	UpdateConfigRecord(&new_rec);
	ForceReboot();
}
seulater

Post by seulater »

i cant upload any code, its keeps resetting.
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

seulater wrote:OK, i give it a shot again thanks. But i think that NB should change the Watchdog to disabled when in the monitor mode. There is no point to have it on when in Monitor mode anyway.
We actually thought about this and decided that it should not be disabled until you enter the setup menu. The problem is that many customers have active incoming serial data on the boot port of a module. If a watchdog reset is triggered then it must be highly unlikely that some random incoming serial data keeps the module off-line. "Asetup\r\n" is a more unlikely sequence of random chars then just 'A'. The watchdog is serviced during the boot countdown, so you should have 3 seconds from entering the monitor until when you type "setup". If you are still having issues getting into the setup menu then make a txt file containing the chars needed and send it using "F5" in MTTTY.
seulater

Post by seulater »

ok thanks