Editor how to's with Eclipse

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
mmk-tsm

Editor how to's with Eclipse

Post by mmk-tsm »

I have recently upgraded from Dev C to Eclipse, and really like the power of this Eclipse editor but cant figure out a couple of things:

1. Is there a way to get an undo and redo buttons on screen?

2. Can I change the highlighting of matching braces format to make it more like the way Dev C did it? I.e. select one brace and the matching one shows up.

3. Is there a way to get a button for indenting and unindenting? I know you can go into the edit option and do it - but that's cumbersome.

TiA,
Mike.
rnixon

Re: Editor how to's with Eclipse

Post by rnixon »

For indenting code, Eclipse does that automatically most of the time. If I am reformatting code I highlight/select the code I want to indent/unindent, then use the tab key.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Another very cool feature I like is when I am typing a function or variable name I can use control-space (hit together) to autocomplete the name or bring up a list of names if there are more than one.
tod

Post by tod »

I've never figured out how to add items to the toolbars but you can easily add keyboard shortcuts. Undo already has Ctrl-Z assigned. The fast way to get to the Keys prefs is to hit SHIFT-CTRL-L twice. The first time brings up a list of shortcuts the second one lets you add new ones. I have Redo set to CTRL-Y. I find keyboard shortcuts more useful than buttons.

Also if you're new to Eclipse there are a couple of HowTo articles on the wiki. I have a number of blog posts related to Eclipse and NetBurner many of them also have embedded screencasts.
mmk-tsm

Post by mmk-tsm »

Tod,
have you removed the screen casts? I see two locations, 1 & 2, but no video.

I had some problems with Eclipse and building last week. In the process of getting sorted, I have lost the very useful feature of being able to see values of variables simply hovering over them - any idea where I enable this option please.
tod

Post by tod »

The screencasts are still there. I'm not sure which blog post you were looking at exactly but the Eclipse tips part 1 video and the Eclipse Tips part2 can be viewed directly on youtube if you want. I'm not sure about your specific question (is it a problem in source, the debugger, macros etc.) but check the settings under:
Windows->Preferences->C/C++->Editor->Hovers