ping options

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
lethbridgegeoff

ping options

Post by lethbridgegeoff »

The

Code: Select all

int Ping( IPADDR to, WORD id, WORD seq, WORD maxwaitticks );
function has the options "id" and "seq" but I am do not know what they do? I looked up the ping man page but they do not match.

Could someone please provide some more details on these options?

I wish to implement a ping flood to use as a load test. Should I be looking at some other way to measurer QOS?

Geoff :?:
rnixon

Re: ping options

Post by rnixon »

If you don't know what they are or don't need them, then just use 1 for each. The settings are for special cases in which you need to track those values for multiple pings.
lethbridgegeoff

Post by lethbridgegeoff »

Thank you for your reply.

While I do not know what they are (the "NetBurner Runtime Libraries" pdf makes no comment on them), I do need to send multiple pings.

1. Is there some way to set the number of pings sent per call?
2. To track multiple pings would "id" remain constant and "seq" increment (I think there was a comment in some code some were about this)?

I have tried to following the code but there was not sufficient comments for me to follow as I have not done any network programming to date.
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

What metrics are you trying to measure? PING is UDP traffic, not TCP. What messaging will you eventually be communicating using? UDP or TCP?

I think you are interested in the throughput and messaging latency with ethernet comm, and if that is so, you need to test with the same comm type you will be running in your eventual target.

If PING is what you want, you can call it in a loop. All of the time is spent moving packets over the wire and waiting for their return. Any time spent calling PING is negligible.

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand